Psychogeriatric Resource Consultant (PRC) Role in North Simcoe Muskoka
The PRC program in North Simcoe Muskoka supports health care providers caring for older persons presenting with or at risk for responsive behaviours that may be associated with dementia, complex mental health, substance use and/or neurological conditions. The PRCs have a 3-part mandate of case consultation, education and clinical system leadership.
Support for Organizations:
Assist staff to problem solve through case based consultation. This may be provided in-house or by telephone conversation.
- These conversations, founded on the PIECES™ model, encourage staff to consider what they know and what they need to know to plan the best care for the individual.
- Through consultation we hope to influence not only the immediate team’s plan of care, but also the broader team/organization function and capacity. Examples may include developing processes for organizational response to behavioural change or accessing specialized services.
- The Complex Case Resolution (CCR) process is also available for individuals in exceptional and complex circumstances.
Promote, develop and deliver educational programs. The following certificate courses/workshops are regularly scheduled throughout North Simcoe Muskoka.
- PIECES™ 16-hour Learning and Development Program
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches® (GPA)
- Seniors Mental Health: An Interactive Approach for Practice©
- Positive Approach to Care™ (PAC)
- SFCare™ Learning Series
The PRCs can also provide information in-services developed to meet the immediate needs of staff. Examples of these could include depression, suicide, types of dementia, understanding the losses of dementia, compassion fatigue, delirium and pain assessment.
- A large portion of the clinical system leadership is accomplished through regional work with the Specialized Geriatric Services program and participation/leadership in regional committees.
Your local PRC is looking forward to working with you and your staff.