The busy holidays are upon us and the North Simcoe Muskoka Specialized Geriatric Services (NSMSGS) offers some advice to keep older adults safe and healthy while celebrating the season.
“Many of us are planning menus, last minute shopping and other details that come with sharing the holidays with family,” says Sandra Easson-Bruno, Director, NSMSGS. “It’s important to support aging loved ones so they can enjoy the time with you safely.”
Some tips the team encourages you to consider:
- Stay Connected: Older adults should stay connected with friends and family, even if it's virtually. Social isolation can impact mental well-being, and maintaining connections is vital.
- Celebrate at Their Pace: While celebrating, be mindful of noise levels and overwhelming environments which can be stressful and overstimulating.
- Create a comfortable space where they can participate how they feel comfortable, or somewhere where you can take breaks if you’re visiting loved ones.
- Medication Management: Ensure you, or your loved one, stays on schedule with medications. As the holidays are typically busy, it’s important to have an established routine.
- Safe Decorations: When decorating, prioritize safety. Avoid tripping hazards, secure loose wires, and ensure proper lighting to prevent accidents.
- Weather Precautions: If planning to go outdoors, ensure you dress appropriately for the weather and be cautious of slippery surfaces. Consider arranging for transportation if needed.
North Simcoe Muskoka Specialized Geriatric Services wishes everyone a joyful and safe holiday season. By following these tips, we can ensure that older adults enjoy the festivities while prioritizing their health and well-being.