The North Simcoe Muskoka Specialized Geriatric Service (NSM SGS) Geriatric Mental Health team is a single integrated system of mental health services inclusive of mental health (Psychiatry) consultation and behaviour support.
The Geriatric Mental Health team supports seniors across the continuum of care; with resources in long-term care and community across the sub-regions of NSM. Team members include:
- GMH Physician Lead (Geriatric Psychiatrist)
- Registered Nurses and Registered Practice Nurses
- Unregulated health care providers eg. Personal Support Workers
- Psychogeriatric Resource Consultants
- Behaviour Technicians
- Occupational Therapists
- Recreation Therapist
- Management support
The GMH team serves NSM older adults and their care partners:
- Diagnosed with a serious mental illness requiring consultation for treatment recommendations
- Experiencing expressive/responsive behaviour as a result of a cognitive impairment that can be related to dementia, mental illness, addictions and/or other neurological disorders within the NSM region
- Responsive behaviours are an individual's actions, gestures and/or words in response to a real or perceived stimulus. Examples can include: hitting, kicking, rummaging, resistance to care, wandering, exit seeking, sexually responsive behaviour, etc. For more information see the NSM SGS standard definitions.
The Geriatric Mental Health team will:
- Complete a comprehensive geriatric assessment related to the reason for referral (mental health or responsive/expressive behaviours) that is person-centred
- Liaise with client, referral source, primary care, and care partners to establish a collaborative plan of care
- Provide a summary of assessment and plan of care (including behaviour care plan where applicable)
- Focus on non-pharmacological interventions to support the client and care partners
- Provide coaching and mentoring to care partners to build capacity and support the implementation of interventions
- Geriatric Psychiatrist provides recommendations only and does not prescribe or write orders. NOTE: If Geriatric Psychiatrist Consult is requested, physician/NP referral is required
How to Access the Service
Health care providers should follow the process outlined in SGS Referral on this website. Members of the public should speak with their family physician.
Referrals for Waypoint’s Horizon Inpatient Unit must be made directly to Waypoint’s Central Intake or call 705-549-3181 x 2308. SGS Central intake will collaborate as appropriate with the rest of the Waypoint Central Intake Service to support system navigation across the geriatric mental health resources.
Behaviour Supports Ontario
NSM SGS is a partner in the provincial initiative known as Behaviour Supports Ontario. For further information, please visit North Simcoe Muskoka Behaviour Supports Ontario